At Peacehaven Heights Primary School & Nursery all children can be ‘Masters of Maths’.
We believe Maths teaches us to make sense of the world around us. We use the mastery approach to develop a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems.
The objectives of the teaching of mathematics are:
- To promote confidence and fluency with numbers and the number system.
- To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
- To develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning- in a range of contexts;
- To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented;
- To explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts;
- To understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life;
- To encourage children to become resilient with their learning, setting themselves challenges appropriate to their level and understanding.
Our teachers plan and deliver engaging sessions that fulfil these objectives, using a wide variety of resources.
The first aim of teaching mathematics is to develop fluency, this is to ensure that pupils are efficient when solving problems; have accuracy to enable them to identify errors and flexibility ensuring that they can apply their knowledge within different contexts. ‘Russell (2000)’
Please click on the links on our 'Maths website links' page in order to access a number of online resources that can help support your child developing their fluency skills such as TT Rockstars and MyMaths where pupils can access weekly tasks.
Please click on the attachments for Maths statement of intent and further information.